- A matchbox measures 4 cm × 2.5 cm × 1.5 cm. What will be the volume of a packet containing 12 such boxes?
Volume of 1 match box = lbh [here, l = 4cm , b = 2.5cm, h = 1.5cm]
= 4 x 2.5 x 1.5
= 15 cm3
Volume of 12 such match boxes = 15 x 12 = 180 cm3
- A cuboidal water tank is 6 m long, 5 m wide and 4.5 m deep. How many litres of water can it hold? (1 m3 = 1000 l)
Volume of water tank = lbh [here, l = 6m , b = 5m, h = 4.5m]
= 6 x 5 x 4.5
= 135 m3
Capacity of water tank for 1m3 = 1000litres
Then, capacity of water tank for 135m3 = 135 x 1000 = 135000 litres
- A cuboidal vessel is 10 m long and 8 m wide. How high must it be made to hold 380 cubic metres of a liquid?
Volume of cuboidal vessel = lbh [here, l = 10m , b = 8m, volume = 380m3]
380 = 10 x 8 x h
h = 380/10×8
h = 4.75 m
- Find the cost of digging a cuboidal pit 8 m long, 6 m broad and 3 m deep at the rate of Rs 30 per m3
Volume of cuboidal pit = lbh
= 8 x 6 x 3
= 144 m3
The cost of digging cuboidal pit for 1m3 = Rs. 30
The cost of digging cuboidal pit for 144m3 = 144 x 30 = Rs. 4320
- The capacity of a cuboidal tank is 50000 litres of water. Find the breadth of the tank, if its length and depth are respectively 2.5 m and 10 m.
Given length of tank = 2.5m and height 10 m
capacity of water tank = 50000 litres = 50000/1000 m3 = 50m3
Capacity of water tank = volume of water tank = lbh
50 = 2.5 x b x 10
b = 50/2.5×10 = 2 m
i.e., breadth of the tank = 2m
- A village, having a population of 4000, requires 150 litres of water per head per day. It has a tank measuring 20 m × 15 m × 6 m. For how many days will the water of this tank last?
Given, a village, having a population of 4000, requires 150 litres of water per head per day.
Water required for 1 person for one day = 150 litres
Therefore, water required for 4000 peoples for one day = 150 x 4000 = 6,00,000 litres
Volume of the water tank = lbh
l = 20m , b = 15 m and h = 6m
Volume of watertank = 20 x 15 x 6
Water holding capacity of the tank = 1800 x 1000 = 18,00,000 litres.
Thus, the number of days will the water of this tank last = water holding capacity of the tank/water required for 4000 peoples for one day
= 18,00,000/6,00,000 = 3
Hence, one tank of water will last for 3 days.
- A godown measures 40 m × 25 m × 10 m. Find the maximum number of wooden crates each measuring 1.5 m × 1.25 m × 0.5 m that can be stored in the godown.
Volume of godown = lbh [here l = 40m, b = 25m , h = 10m]
= 40 x 25 x 10
= 10000 m3
Volume of the wooden crates = lbh [l = 1.5m , b = 1 .25m , h = 0.5 m]
= 1.5 x 1.25 x 0.5
= 0.9375 m3
No. of wooden crates stored in godown = Volume of godown/ Volume of the wooden crates
= 10666. 67
- A solid cube of side 12 cm is cut into eight cubes of equal volume. What will be the side of the new cube? Also, find the ratio between their surface areas.
Volume of cube = a3
= 1728 cm3
Given, solid cube of side 12 cm is cut into eight cubes of equal volume. i.e., = 1728/8 = 216 cm3
Therefore, volume of the each new cube = 216 cm3
We know, volume of each new cube = (s)3
216 = s3
s = 6 cm
The ratio between volume of a soild cube and volume of new cube = 12 : 6 = 2 : 1
- A river 3 m deep and 40 m wide is flowing at the rate of 2 km per hour. How much water will fall into the sea in a minute?
h = 3 m ; b = 40 m ;
Water flow for 1 hour, l = 2 km = 2000m
Volume of water flowing through the river in 1 hour = lbh
= 2000 x 3 x 40
= 240000 m3
Volume of water flowing in 1 minute = 240000/60 = 4000 m3